The house dust mite Suidasia pontifica (Sp) is an important source of allergens in tropical regions that trigger IgE-mediated allergic reactions such as allergic asthma, atopic dermatitis and allergic rhinitis. Detection of Sp-specific proteins are important in the management and prevention of allergic diseases. The study aimed to provide a proof of concept for a gold nanoparticle-labeled sandwich format lateral flow immunoassay (LFIA) kit for the detection of Sp-specific proteins. Protein A chromatography-purified rabbit anti-Sp polyclonal antibodies were labeled with gold nanoparticles (AuNP) synthesized from chloroauric acid using the citrate reduction method, then dispensed on a glass fiber pad. Unlabeled antibodies and anti-rabbit IgG were immobilized onto nitrocellulose membrane as test pad and control lines respectively. Cellulose fiber pad, glass fiber, and the nitrocellulose membrane pad were then assembled as LFIA kit. Protein-A affinity chromatography purification with pre-concentration yielded 1.45 mg/mL of anti-Sp polyclonal antibodies. Synthesized AuNPs with ~20 nm sizes observed under transmission electron microscope were used for antibody conjugation at an optimal pH of 8.5 (borate buffer) and an optimal ratio of 10 µL 50µg/mL antibody:100 µL AuNP. Optimal color intensity and fastest migration time were observed with the treatment of 0.05% Tween20 and 10% sucrose in the conjugate pads; 5% BSA and 0.05% Tween20 in the sample pads, and 1% BSA in the test pads. The limit of detection of the LFIA Sp-specific proteins is 0.076 µg/mL. Results presented herein provide a prototype for a cost-effective, rapid, and equipment-free detection of the house dust mite Suidasia pontifica.
PMID: 30760184 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- First report on sensitization to allergens of a house dust mite, Suidasia pontifica (Acari: Saproglyphidae).
- [Review] Allergy to house dust mites and asthma.
- Scanning electron micrographs of medically important dust mite, Suidasia pontifica (Acari: Astigmata: Saproglyphidae) in Malaysia.
- Dual gold nanoparticle lateflow immunoassay for sensitive detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7.
- Guideline on allergen-specific immunotherapy in IgE-mediated allergic diseases: S2k Guideline of the German Society for Allergology and Clinical Immunology (DGAKI), the Society for Pediatric Allergy and Environmental Medicine (GPA), the Medical Association of German Allergologists (AeDA), the Austrian Society for Allergy and Immunology (ÖGAI), the Swiss Society for Allergy and Immunology (SGAI), the German Society of Dermatology (DDG), the German Society of Oto- Rhino-Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (DGHNO-KHC), the German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (DGKJ), the Society for Pediatric Pneumology (GPP), the German Respiratory Society (DGP), the German Association of ENT Surgeons (BV-HNO), the Professional Federation of Paediatricians and Youth Doctors (BVKJ), the Federal Association of Pulmonologists (BDP) and the German Dermatologists Association (BVDD).