A sensitive and reliable method based on solid-liquid extraction (SLE) using McIlvaine-Na2EDTA buffer (pH=4.5)-methanol and solid-phase extraction (SPE) clean up prior to ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry (UHPLC-MS/MS) was applied to determine 47 organic contaminants in fish, soil and sediments. The SPE procedure to clean-up the extracts was also used as extraction method to determine these compounds in water. Recoveries ranged from 38 to 104% for all matrices with RSDs<30%. Limits of Quantification for the target compounds were in the range of 10-50ng/g for soil, 2-40ng/g for sediment, 5-30ng/g for fish and 0.3-26ng/L for water. Furthermore, the proposed method was compared to QuEChERS (widely used for environmental matrices) that involves extraction with buffered acetonitrile (pH 5.5) and dispersive SPE clean-up. The results obtained (recoveries>50% for 36 compounds in front of 9, matrix effect<20% for 31 compounds against 21, and LOQs <25ngg(-1) for 38 compounds against 22) indicates that the proposed method is more efficient than QuEChERS, The method was applied to monitoring these compounds along the Turia River. In river waters, Paracetamol (175ngL(-1)), ibuprofen (153ngL(-1)) and bisphenol A (41ngL(-1)) were the compounds most frequently detected while in sediments were vildagliptin (7ngg(-1)) and metoprolol (31ngg(-1)) and in fish, bisphenol A (33ngg(-1)) or sulfamethoxazole (13ngg(-1)).
PMID: 28869814 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Multi-residue analysis of pharmaceuticals in aqueous environmental samples by online solid-phase extraction-ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: Optimisation and matrix effects reduction by quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged and safe extraction.
- Development of a method for the analysis of hormones and pharmaceuticals in earthworms by quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged and safe (QuEChERS) extraction followed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS).
- Development of sample extraction and clean-up strategies for target and non-target analysis of environmental contaminants in biological matrices.
- Simultaneous determination of 24 personal care products in fish muscle and liver tissues using QuEChERS extraction coupled with ultra pressure liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and gas chromatography-mass spectrometer analyses.
- [Review] Multi-residue determination of 47 organic compounds in water, soil, sediment and fish-Turia River as case study.